“The best day of your life is the one on which you decide your life is your own.” – Bob Moawad.
Are you giving away your personal power? Do you feel like someone else is in the driver’s seat?
Personal power comes from being yourself, standing your ground and doing what is right for you.
Giving it away can deplete your mental energy and side-track you from your goals.
Yet stopping this from happening is easier said than done as you may not even realise that you are relinquishing your personal power.
Here are 7 ways that, according to this excellent Forbes article, can help you take back the power:
- Don’t give in to guilt – If you really don’t want to do something, be strong enough to stick to your choices, even when someone tries to take you on a guilt trip.
- Don’t think everyone has to like you – you don’t have to let one person’s opinion define who you are or how you feel about yourself.
- Set boundaries – it helps to set realistic boundaries to keep you safe and to make relationships work. Click here for our blog ‘How to communicate for an effective boundary’.
- Choose what you wish to do – don’t spend time complaining about things you feel you have to do. Make your choice and go with it.
- Don’t hold onto grudges – by giving up any resentments, you regain the energy that this person was holding over you.
- Accept criticism as constructive – don’t feel upset if someone criticises you, take it as help to become your best.
- Don’t let others determine your day – it’s up to you to make it a good day despite whatever is happening around you.
No one is capable of being in perfect alignment with their inner power at all times, but these tips will help minimise the occasions when it happens.
It’s never too late to take back your power and decide that you’re going to be in control of how you think, feel, and behave regardless of the situation you find yourself in.
What will you do today to take control?